Wirksworth Heritage Centre was created with the aim of interpreting the history of the town and preserving the stories of its people – bringing its past to life for future generations. Over thirty years on, our vision is clear – to be an independent, sustainable organisation which makes a relevant and valued contribution to the culture and economy of the town.
The Heritage Centre is a non-profit making charity and museum which receives no direct government or local authority financial support. We rely entirely on generating our own income through grants, admissions to our museum, commercial activities and donations. Since 2014 we have raised around £1.6m to relocate the original heritage centre into its new home. We operate with a small number of employees, a committed group of voluntary trustees and a fantastic team of volunteers who play a crucial role in helping us manage the centre, look after our museum collection and help run our activities.
Donations – whatever the size – play a vital job in helping us continue our work.
Donations can be made using the online form or by cheque made payable to Wirksworth Heritage Centre. These should be sent to Chair of the Trustees, Wirksworth Heritage Centre, 31 St John’s Street, Wirksworth DE4 4DS.
Leaving a gift in your will is a valuable source of funding to support the work we do. Your legacy gift can help us:
- to enable more people appreciate the town’s heritage by enhancing and developing new learning activities for children, schools, families and visiting groups.
- maintain, conserve and add to our museum collection of important artefacts and documents.
- to borrow items from national museum collections.
- develop new exhibitions and events to tell the many and varied stories about the town and its people.
- continue with research into the town’s history and its families.
- care for the 17th Century heritage building that forms part of our site.
- maintain and improve our centre environment and services for our visitors.
Leaving a gift to the Heritage Centre in your will, no matter the size, enables us to continue and improve upon our work – even a small gift can make a big difference. By remembering Wirksworth Heritage Centre in your will, you will be playing a valued role in preserving the heritage of the town.
Newsletter Sign Up
Why sign up?
Sign up to receive regular news from Wirksworth Heritage Centre and be the first to find out about forthcoming exhibitions and events.
We value your privacy and promise never to pass your details onto third parties.